Saturday, May 16, 2009

Partying at the Pyramids!

Last night we partied at the pyramids! Seriously!

This is one of the coolest things I have ever done. OK, I know I say that a lot on this blog. But honestly, it’s all true. I am continually amazed, thankful and grateful for the remarkable, wonderful – and sometimes wild and crazy – adventures I have had here in Egypt. But this is definitely a lifetime highlight.

Officially it was called Dinner in the Desert an annual ball hosted by the Cairo Rugby Club, an expat and yes rugby club here in Cairo. Unofficially, I call it one of the best and most unique parties I have ever attended in my life.


Pictures cannot capture all that I saw, felt and expereinced. But, some are attached anyway for you viewing pleasure.




Location. Location. Location.
















This black tie event (open to personal interpretation), catered by the J.W. Marriott was situated at the foot of the pyramids. We had an incredible dinner with the Sphinx! This dinner would have impressed any foodie - even for a banquet dinner. We had a succulent seafood salad, filet mignon and chocolate fudge cake.
Then we were entertained by a fabulous Jazz Band orchestra, a DJ, and “Cairo’s favorite funk band Crash, Bang, Wallop.” We danced all night long - at the pyramids!

If you’re not impressed yet – you haven’t been paying attention. I said, we had a freaking huge fantastic party AT THE PYRAMIDS!
To fully appreciate this you need to know that the pyramids typically are closed at night. Yes, I said closed. Visitors are kicked out about 6 pm. Then there’s a sound and light show – yeah a laser show (without the Grateful Dead music) projected onto the pyramids most nights but that ends by 9 pm. Then they go dark. They are not illuminated all night like the Washington Monument or Eiffel Tower would be. Electricity is expensive you know. :-)

So this was truly a unique experience. We had the whole area to ourselves. And we packed the dance floor and showed we truly enjoyed and appreciated the opportunity.



It was AN INCREDIBLE AND UBELIEVABEL experience!

No comments: