Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cairo Weather

I hear they are predicting snow at home. So I thought this would be a good time to discuss the weather here in Cairo. ;-)

It is winter here too you know. During the day it gets up to about high 70s to low 80s. But when the sun goes down it cools off quickly and its down right chilly when you wake up in the morning - high 50s to low 60s. I know you al will laugh in envy at me saying that low 60s is chilly but it's true. And there is almost a constant 10-15 mph wind that cools everything right down.

The best description truly is like camping in northern New England in July or August. It's nice and hot during the day but at night you're gonna want a sweatshirt and to be sittng next to a warm campfire.

So right now it is no burden at all to wear long pants or skirts and long sleeve shirts everyday. Everyone here is wearing sweaters and scarves especially when tey go out at night. I even see some winter coats already.

Honestly, I am not sure I packed enough warm clothes. My office can be quite cold during the day. In the school I work the hallways are open to envirnonment. (Picture schools in California - or 90210 - where the hallways are outside.) So, when the wind blows in the courtyard it's like sitting under and ac vent all day long. And the "floor matrons" - like teacher's aides - sit in the hallway all day long. I know they are thankful for their coats and head scarfs.

I'm not complaining in the least. This is my year of the endless summer. And I am grateful there is no snow shoveling in my immediate future. Enjoy whatever weather you may have today. And we'll check back on weather again in March or April when things really start to heat up.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Julie- I guess 60 degrees can be cool- maybe you could venture out and buy a sweater so you can go through the halls without feeling so cold.

Julie said...

Yes of course there are plenty of sweater stores and shopping is a popular past time.